Proper Preparation for Specific Training Sessions: Strength Training
Nov 08 2018
The main takeaways:
1) Identify the key point of the session; if its strength based, think nervous system preparation
2) Great blood flow and movement specific work on the front end
3) Prepare the pattern with lighter/faster variations
4) Allow for an adequate build up to tough sets to prepare the brain for the voluntary contraction required
The main phase: “Prepare with purpose”
The Best Time to Train
Nov 26 2018
What if I told you there were optimal times to train in the day? That’s probably something you’d be interested in hearing. The truth is, there are times throughout the day that are more optimal tha...
Cool Down and Post Workout Fueling
Dec 10 2018
The main takeaways:
1) The recovery process starts once your session has finished
2) Easy blood flow and mindful stretching post training are great tools to start the recovery process
3) Diaphragmatic breathing is a great tool to help transition the body from a sympathetically driven state to a parasympathetic state
4) Ensure your body has cooled down before consuming food or shakes post workout
5) Prioritize food hygiene (great chewing, sitting down, relaxing) when consuming food post workout
6) Post Workout macronutrient prescriptions and the food choices within it are highly individualized
Open Strategy Guide: 19.2
Mar 01 2019
Week 2 of the CrossFit Open brings a repeat workout from 2016. However, there is one key factor that changed; there is an 8 minute clock to start the workout rather than consistent 4 minute clocks....
Open Strategy Guide: 19.3
Mar 08 2019
Download the Open Strategy Guide: 19.3 Week 3 of the CrossFit Open brings us some new movements. The real work starts at the strict handstand pushups, sHSPU, and inside the guide we go over how to...
Open Strategy Guide: 19.4
Mar 15 2019
Download the Open Strategy Guide: 19.4 In the fourth week of the CrossFit Open, Dave Castro gives us burpees... and snatches... and bar muscle ups. Our coaches have broken down the workout, equipme...
Keys To Longevity in Training
Mar 18 2019
“You miss the trees in the woods if you try to build Rome in a day”. That nonsensical made up quote really reminds me of the point I’m trying to get across today. ‘Longevity’. We are all on this ...
Triangle of Success
Apr 22 2019
What breeds success in competitive fitness? While that can be a broad question, let’s pull it apart. First, we need to define success. We have to remember whenever we think of success we filter tha...
Fasted Aerobic Work
May 24 2019
Fasted aerobic work (FAW), a term that I would categorize as a “hot topic.” A tool the social media world sees as the holy grail for the body of their dreams. Let’s not forget FAW is just a tool. A...